1. What is the Preschool option?
2. What can I do with the Preschool option?
Preschool is a Gradelink Class Type to create an electronic sign-in/out sheet.
What is an electronic sign-in/out sheet?
An electronic sign-in sheet is just like a traditional paper sign-in sheet except that parents/guardians can sign in using a computer or tablet device like an iPad. Each time a student is signed-in or out, that information is saved in your Gradelink account allowing you to easily run attendance reports.
Why would I want to use it?
Forget the hassle of fumbling with clipboards and paper. Use Gradelink’s simple and secure Preschool Sign-In app. It’ll make a great impression with parents right from the start
Automate the process. The Preschool Sign-In app makes it easy to check students in and out on a computer, tablet or phone. It even allows multiple users to sign students in or out on separate devices. And it instantly shows you who’s in class. Facilitate car line drop off/pickup
Records and reports. The Preschool Sign-In app keeps a legal record of attendance, including digital signatures, indefinitely. It can also help speed up your billing process because it records each student’s time in the classroom. Automatic reporting for the total the number of hours a student was in preschool for billing. Ensure accurate sign-in/out times. Historical archives of all sign-in activity
Flexible. Have a parent who needs to authorize someone to pickup their child on a particular day? Or how about an entire week? It can handle that, too.
Administrative set up
Before you can begin, an admin will need to perform a little setup. Click the links below for clear step-by-step instruction.
- Add students to Gradelink
- Add emergency contacts
- Add preschool staff
- Create a preschool roster for each class
- Populate preschool students into each class
Create a Preschool roster for each preschool class
From your administrator account,
- Click on the Classes tab. Ensure no class is selected in the list on the right.
- Type in an appropriate title in the Class Title field, such as “Ms. Smith (Preschool 2-3)”
- The Report Title can be the same or different, and will be shown to parents on the sign-in screen.
- Set the Class Type to “Preschool”. Other fields do not apply and can be left as-is.
- Click “Add“
Next, you’ll need to this class with students.
Security and safety
Online Access and Mobile App access:
For security, a user with Admin Full permission to Gradelink will need to sign in to the preschool portal each day in order to activate it. This simple act prevents unauthorized users from using your sign-in/out sheet even if they have the URL/link.
For security, only authorized pickups are able to pickup or drop off a student within the electronic sign-in/out sheet. Gradelink’s Students page has two areas where a contact could be listed:
1) In the area titled “Demographics”
2) the area titled Contacts If a parent is an authorized pickup they will need to be listed in Gradelink as a “Contact..
Temporary authorized pickups can be added. This is ideal if a neighbor needs to be the authorized pickup for just one day or one week.
Gradelink recommends that you check with your state laws before proceeding with an electronic sign-in/out sheet.
Most states allow electronic sign-in/out sheets as long as they include the following:
- The name of the student who was signed in or out
- The date and time the student was signed in or out
- The name of the adult who signed the student in or out
- An “identifying mark” to identify the adult to signed in or out the student. An “identifying mark” could be a physical signature, a PIN or initials
- Records must be kept for up to seven years
The electronic sign-in/out sheet provided by Gradelink meets the above requirements, currently facilitating initials as the identifying mark.
Signing a student in and out
On the web-connected device you wish to use for sign in, log yourself into the preschool portal by visiting
(Be sure to replace "yourschoolID" with your school's Gradelink ID number)
A user with "Admin Full" level access will need to sign in at the start of the day by entering their Gradelink username and password. Upon successful login, the Sign-In screen will appear.
- Selects the class
- Selects the student they are dropping off
- Selects their own name
- Enters their Initials
- Clicks Submit
Note: Students can be signed in and out multiple times in a single day.
Sign in/out Situations
What if a parent forgets to sign their child out?
The preschool director can correct the record on behalf of the parent by manually entering a record.
From an Admin Account:
- Click Administrator Reports
- Click the Preschool Reports button
- Select the Update Logs tab.
- Select the Class and Student whose record must be amended.
- Click Add Entry.
From here you can edit the date, time and add a comment explaining that the admin checked the student out on behalf of the parent. There is no Save or Edit button. Simply click on the field and edit the value, and click elsewhere or press Enter to commit the change.
What if the record is not corrected? The Hours Logged report won’t function correctly without both a check in and check out time on any given day. To mitigate this, Gradelink will automatically calculate a time for those days based on a specified setting.
From an Admin Account:
- Click Administrator Reports
- Click the Preschool Reports button
- Select the Settings tab
- Enter a value in Default Duration for Missed Checkout (default is 2 hours)
Remember, this is solely for the Hours Logged report. A student won’t be automatically marked as “Checked Out” in their Log. Setting the Missed Checkout value to zero will cause a Check In record that is missing a Check Out to read as zero minutes, which will prompt the administrator to enter the log to correct the records.
Temporary Authorized Pickups
You may have a situation in which a parent wants to allow another person to have authorization to pick up their child(ren) but only for a given date range. For example, a parent may allow another parent to pickup their child for a play date. The authorization would only be valid for a specific day. Or a parent may want to allow a relative to pick up and drop off their child for a given week.
Below are the steps for setting up a temporary authorized pickup:
- The parent will call/email the preschool director and let them know the details of the temporary authorized pickup.
- The preschool director will enter the note into Gradelink.
- From an Admin account:Click the Preschool Report button then the Students Notes tab.
- (A) Select the class and the student then click “Add Note.”
- (B) A new record will appear where the preschool director can enter the name and the date range during which they will be able to drop off or pick up the student.
- (C) The director should choose “Pick Up/Drop Off” unless this is a general note, not intended for contact creation.
- (D) They can add a comment about why they are picking up or dropping off
- The temporary authorized pickup person will then be able to use the Preschool sign in/out screen. Their name will appear on the drop down menu during the provided date range. If the “Type” is “Pick Up” then his/her name will only appear on the drop down menu for pick ups, not drop offs.
Working with reports
Preschool reports are found under Administrator Reports / Preschool reports (bottom right). All of the reports have the following functions:
1. Sorting: Each column can be sorted by clicking the ( ) icon next to the header, and choosing an option from the drop-down.
2. Filtering: Each column can be filtered by typing into the blank field under the header. Multiple columns can be filtered simultaneously. For instance, enter a student’s first name, and enter “In” in the “Check In or Out” column, to find all the times a specific student was checked in.
3. Print/Export, Show/Hide Columns: Clicking the Menu button ( ) at the top right corner of the list will display a drop-down menu of options for exporting to Excel (CSV), as well as hiding or showing additional columns of info. To print, first export to Excel (CSV) or PDF.
- Column width can be changed by dragging the vertical grid line in or out, similar to Excel, allowing more detail to show.
- Clicking the Column header title directly causes it to toggle sorting in ascending or descending order.
- From the ( ) menu Columns can be “pinned” to the left or right side, allowing them to fix in place even when scrolling left or right to view other columns, which may be useful on smaller screen sizes.
All of the sign in/outs for an individual student
From Preschool Reports, select the Preschool Log tab. Select the Class and Student.
Number of hours a student was in preschool this month
From Preschool Reports, select the Hours Logged tab. Select the Class, Student and date range.
All students who are checked-in to preschool at this moment
From Preschool Reports, select the Students Currently Checked In tab and select a class. This will show all students who are currently checked in.
Students without authorized pickups
From Preschool Reports, select the Students w/o Contacts tab. If a student does not have any authorized pickups listed in Gradelink then he/she cannot be picked up, which renders the electronic sign in/out sheet useless for them. This report will help you identify the students who need authorized pickups added to their file. Note: This report excludes Temporary authorized pickups
This tab shows all historical logs for a selected student, and allows editing. Simply click the field to edit and click elsewhere or press Enter to commit the change. You may also add a row using the ‘Add Entry’ button, for those cases where a parent missed a check in/out or an agreement was made to enter the log at a later time. An invalid date or time entry, such as a checkout that starts before a checkin, will stay highlighted in red until a correction is made. For manual entries, a text comment must be entered to validate.
The Student Notes section in Preschool Reports is primarily used for quickly adding temporary authorized pickups, so they don’t need to be added and removed repeatedly from the Students page. However you can also add in miscellaneous notes which may or may not be associated with a contact. To do so, click Add Note and in the Type column choose “General”. Then enter the specific note, along with any other changes. Press enter or click away from the field to save the changes.
The Preschool sign-in screen for parents has an area at the top for your school’s logo. The logo space uses the same logo used by your EnrollMe account. If you do not have an EnrollMe account you can still include your school’s logo. Please contact Gradelink support for assistance.