Billing Sessions are typically set up once per year since sessions usually span a school year or a summer term. Creating different sessions for each school year or summer term allows for easier implementation of fee changes and makes record-keeping easier. Setting up a new session is a required step prior to using the financial section for the next school year. In order to set up your sessions, follow these steps:
- Click the Financial Tab in the upper left-hand corner of your screen.
- Click the Admin tab at the upper right of your screen.
- Click the “Sessions” button directly below the “Academics” tab. Click the “Add” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Set the dates that correspond to your school year. The School Open From and School Open Thru dates do not have to exactly match the start and end dates of the school, but should be at least a close approximation.
- Enter dates into the “Receivables Open From” and “Receivables Open Thru” boxes. These dates are the first and last dates in which funds can be collected and applied to the current school year.
Many schools start collecting money before the start of the new session and allow money to be collected after the current session ends. In order to prevent accounting errors, Gradelink will not allow you to add a transaction if the transaction date falls outside of the receivables “open from” and “open through” period.
When the box next to “Suppress Online Statements” is checked, parents will not be able to download statements online through their Gradelink accounts for that school year. If parents should be able to download a statement from their Gradelink account, leave the box unchecked.
Multiple sessions may be created and can be open at the same time to allow billing and collection of funds for two different terms. For example, a school may have a summer session in which funds will continue to be collected after the start of the normal school year. In order to change the status of a billing session, select “Open” or “Closed” from the Receivables Edit Status drop-down menu. Unless the Receivables Edit Status is set to open, it is not possible to enter transactions onto student ledgers.